Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Windows Vista x64 Feb CTP (Beta 2, Build 5308) Kicks Ass

3.8gb DVD... Install is very simple. It all looks nice, no crappy DOS or EGA interfaces. The partitioning, formatting, etc is all done with a point and click interface. After selecting a drive, it just shows a giant progress bar that takes FOREVER (well more than 10 minutes) while it copies the DVD. At the end, it ask for PC name, time, and it was done.
The only problem I had was with a disabled drive. I disabled my secondary drive (old primary) in BIOS because I didn't want Windows Vista to touch it. I left the primary enabled. Well the install saw the disabled drive and listed it anyways. I selected the primary and tried to install anyways but the next button was grayed out and it said "make sure your drive is not disabled in BIOS". First, the primary WAS NOT disable. Second, I WANTED the second disable. =] So I just had to restart and physically unplug the second.
Everything had default drivers on my 64bit PC except the sound. nVidia had Feb 24th drivers and it installed no problem. I updated the 7800gtx to the latest drivers and that went smooth.
It's secure to the bone when you install it. It will ask your permission to run task manager or to launch MMC when you 'Manage' your computer.
C:\USERS\ - What a concept.
I like how all the windows smoothly pop in and out of view. The semi-transparent title bars are cool too.
The taskbar is awesome... Hovering your mouse over an item gives you a thumbnail screenshot.
The sidebar is cool too... It shuffles through pics in your pics folder. It has some quick launch slots, a RSS headlines scroller, and you can connect to the internet for more.
The start menu always stays within the borders of the original menu. You don't get windows popping of to the side and all the way across your screen.
The thing I love most so far is that in 1600x1200 on a 21" CRT, windows and web pages look very nice. I used to run 1280x960 on XP just because 1600x1200 on a 21" looked too tiny too me and adjusting the dpi settings in XP never looked right... I am running Vista in 1600x1200 and everything looks excellent with no adjustment. Its nice to have an OS that isn't designed for 17" 1024x768 monitors.
The new windows explorer KICKS ASS. I can't believe how cool the breadcrumb/address bar feature is.
IE7 looks really good and ties into Vista well. 64 bit version of course.
I'm using Windows Mail right now and it's working fine. There is a separate Windows Calendar program.
It has a games section where it claims it will 'automatically keep your games updated with manufacturer updates'. That will be awesome.
You can adjust 'application volume' independently of 'system volume'.
There also seem to lots of options for syncing your folders with web folders or other PCs running Vista. It talks with uPnP routers to open its own port and everything.
I still have to check out media player. More updates and screenshots to come.
Cons? 800mb physical memory used the first time it booted up. Good thing I have 2gb... You can tell this version of Windows really taxes the system. Certain things arent as lightning fast as they became on XP with better sytems. You can tell Vista really pushes the minimum system specs up a bit; It definately won't run as gracefully on budget 1st gen P4 systems with <1gb of ram.

No comments: